Skip to main content

To be or not to be...

...in this case, it is not the question but rather the answer.

Today in Church a talk was given that brought up something important to me.  I am a "list person".  I have so many lists, because that is how I stay organized.  The most frequent list I make is a to-do list, generally before I go to bed for the next day (yes, I still have nightly planning sessions, hahahaha, picked that up from the mission!).  But in this talk, the speaker talked about how we like to-do lists because we can check things off as we finish.  But have we ever thought about a "To be" list?  So that got me thinking.  And tonight for my scripture study, I was pondering over this and decided that I also needed to make a "Not to be" list.  And these are lists that will stay with me for life, as I will never be perfect and will always be working on becoming more like Christ.  Because that is the ultimate goal of a "to be" list.  So here is the result of my study:

To be:

  • happy
  • patient- with myself, others, and the Lord's timing
  • spiritual
  • humble
  • trusting in God- His will above my own
  • selfless- serve others always
  • obedient & a covenant keeper
  • willing
  • charitable & kind & loving
  • faithful and believing
  • temple-going
  • dedicated & diligent
  • a hard worker
  • honest
  • a missionary always
  • aware of priorities
  • involved in family history
  • hopeful
  • virtuous
  • a seeker of knowledge and truth
  • worthy of the Spirit
  • eternal-minded
  • a disciple of Christ  (3 Nephi 5:13)
Not to be:
  • selfish
  • prideful
  • judgmental
  • perfectionist
  • impatient
  • lazy
  • disobedient
  • defiant
  • envious or jealous
  • pessimistic
  • a bad example
  • concerned with man's opinion of me
  • sinful
  • contentious
  • worldly
  • short-tempered
  • doubting
  • weary in doing good
  • hesitant to follow a prompting
  • ignorant
And I'm sure I'll continue to add to these lists.  But this is what's going up on my wall right now as a daily reminder to try a little harder to be a little better each day.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Shades of Gray

Sometimes you think you've seen and heard it all. You look back on your life and think, "wow, I've been through everything." And you realize that you've been friendless, lost people close to you to the dreaded cancer, pretty much failed a class, missed work entirely, didn't know how you were going to pay your bills, been rejected by people you liked, felt lost and aimless, been rejected twice from the dream you've been dreaming, had the car die on you more times than you can count, and the list goes on. On the other hand, you've got amazing friends, the gospel in life, a positive and optimistic outlook, had the opportunity to be an EFY counselor, have an amazing family, travelled a ton, finally found what you want to do with your education, and the list goes on longer than the first. And then you think, again, "wow, I really HAVE been through everything!" And you think you know how to deal with anything that might come your way, because

Happy birthday Tiff Tiff!

So there's no more classes. Only finals left. I'm keeping busy doing things, whether school-related or not, but it's still weird. Last night I was sitting here putting together some videos and such that Tiff and I have done all year, and it finally hit me that...I'm done class for two years here. It's a weird feeling, and I don't know how to describe it really...bittersweet isn't quite the word. Because I'm leaving so soon, I've been feeling a bit melancholy lately...it's so weird. And it's hard when people keep telling me to come back in the fall. I don't know...I've had a LOT on my mind lately, and I still feel like I'm doing the right thing. So I've been trying to keep busy and not think too much about it... I've tied up a lot of loose ends, both with people and with projects, in the past couple days. But on to happier stuff. Today we are celebrating Tiff's birthday! We're making a duckie cake, and d

You make me smile

Stanford Larsen:  One of my dearest friends.  Also one of the few people in this world who never let me down...ever.  Every time I think back to memories with him, i can't help but smile.  He has left a smile on my heart forever. Watermelon always makes me smile.  No other explanation needed. My cats make me smile.  They purr and are happy kitties. Snow of course.  Snow snow snow!  Snow angels, snowballs, snowmen, snow forts, snow fights, snow shoveling, snowfall, snow! My family.  They're all my best friends.  I couldn't ask for a better family...ever. Mater.  Cars.  The music in the movie.  Watching the movie over and over again, on rainy or sunny days.  Lots of memories that go with this movie, too. Country.  Country music.  Country dancing.  Country movies.  Nashville.  Country stars.  Cowboys.  One in particular.  All of these things make me smile like I'd never smiled before I found them.  I want to be this! :) Lots of things make me smile. Lots