Skip to main content

Shades of Gray

Sometimes you think you've seen and heard it all. You look back on your life and think, "wow, I've been through everything." And you realize that you've been friendless, lost people close to you to the dreaded cancer, pretty much failed a class, missed work entirely, didn't know how you were going to pay your bills, been rejected by people you liked, felt lost and aimless, been rejected twice from the dream you've been dreaming, had the car die on you more times than you can count, and the list goes on. On the other hand, you've got amazing friends, the gospel in life, a positive and optimistic outlook, had the opportunity to be an EFY counselor, have an amazing family, travelled a ton, finally found what you want to do with your education, and the list goes on longer than the first. And then you think, again, "wow, I really HAVE been through everything!" And you think you know how to deal with anything that might come your way, because you've got the gospel and past experiences to draw upon. And because of your trials, you can help others in their time of need.

Until that one day when you hear the worst news you've ever heard in your life. Worse than when your grandfather died of cancer. Worse than when one of your best friends died of cancer. Worse than your first breakup. Worse than the rejection letters you've collected from the photography department. In fact, it's so bad, you never even dreamed it. Or thought it. The thought literally never entered your mind until someone put it there as a truth. A fact of life. Something you're expected to just accept, and then go on living as though there had been no interruption made. And people around you just act like everything is normal. So why is it affecting you more than them? You're usually skilled at finding the good in every situation, but this just doesn't add up. There is...absolutely no good to be found. It's pure evil. And then it's sad. How do you process something so terrible? You're not judging the people involved, because you have no right to do that. You're stunned. In a state of shock, not able to form the words to describe your feelings. Mainly because you don't know what your feelings are. e

Then you go to bed that night and can't fall asleep. You don't want to talk about it. But you want to talk to someone, just to engage your mind in something else. Well, family is in bed. Friends are sleeping. Some friends are up, but they're busy doing other things. So you watch "House" instead. It helps. You eventually fall asleep because you're so tired you can't stay awake any longer. You remember something your brother said a few hours earlier: "I feel like I'm just going to wake up tomorrow and it'll be Tuesday." And though you know that's impossible, you hope for that. When you wake up on Wednesday morning, you check the time. Then you look at your phone, hoping it says Tuesday. It says Wednesday. So then you get up and check the news to see what's new. It's all the same old horrific news as yesterday, so instead you keep busy doing other things, and yet not doing a whole lot at the same time. You still can't process what's happened, and you realize that you have to, eventually. Fortunately you've got really good friends who let you know that they're there for you- even though they're 2500 miles away. Then you talk to them later, and they talk about their life, getting your mind off the obvious.

That's when you realize you've REALLY been through it all.

Comments

  1. Dear Kare Kare,
    I love you. And I think it's great that you write about things. Writing is such a good thing. It's theraputic in mnany ways and absolutely essential to life. I want to pick at your writing and say I like this, and you could make this stronger here...but I won't do that because this has served its purpose. and served it well. the end. love tif

    ReplyDelete
  2. Karen, I hope you are doing better and smiling because you have a beautiful smile =) Let me know if you ever need anything, okie? I love you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would like to point out that, as you know, I am ALWAYS up later than you, and therefore I demand that you call me if ever needed. Ok? :) The moral of the story here is that I love you, and my room is way less fun without you, and you're in my prayers.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

10 Things I love about Hannaford

So originally I was going to do this in sarcasm...but then decided that I could actually come up with 10 things (in no specific order) I like about my job. Even though being a cashier at a grocery store is not ideal, it's a job, and...well, you'll see. 1. Going on break with my dad sometimes. Because, you know, we work in the same store. It's pretty cool. 2. I love the people I work with soooooo much! Mainly the ones during the day, because I don't know any of the high school kids that work evenings, because I rarely work evenings. 3. Being the "party animal". nuff said. 4. Watching a cashier ID someone for alcohol, and him telling us that he doesn't even have a photo ID since his license was taken away for DWI. Yeah, maybe he should rethink his purchase... 5. Now when I hear the name of a vegetable, I automatically think of its PLU. Dates: 3047. Cabbage: 4069. Bananas: 4011. Tree Ripe Peaches: 4044. Eastern Peaches: 4403. Nectarines: 4378.

Greased Lightning

It's snowing today! And what a great day it's been...minus the fact that I haven't finished nearly as much as I should have by now. But I DID go outside and play in the snow...and that's important! The snow was fresh in the tree....so I did what any little kid would do, and licked it. It was snow AND ice...good thing my tongue didn't freeze to the tree in my front yard! I love tree branches in the snow. There's just something about the combination of brown and pure white that strikes my artistic bone. Part of the tree and part of my house. Looking up Pennichuck Street. So picturesque. Me in my getup...I borrowed Michael's boots because I don't have any in NH (except for my cowboy boots....), and he gave me his snowshoeing boots, because they each weight like 5 pounds, and he just wanted to see me try to walk in them. My sunglasses made a comeback! Well, that's today. I've got a couple papers to write for English 316, and a bunch of Bio to r

Happy birthday Tiff Tiff!

So there's no more classes. Only finals left. I'm keeping busy doing things, whether school-related or not, but it's still weird. Last night I was sitting here putting together some videos and such that Tiff and I have done all year, and it finally hit me that...I'm done class for two years here. It's a weird feeling, and I don't know how to describe it really...bittersweet isn't quite the word. Because I'm leaving so soon, I've been feeling a bit melancholy lately...it's so weird. And it's hard when people keep telling me to come back in the fall. I don't know...I've had a LOT on my mind lately, and I still feel like I'm doing the right thing. So I've been trying to keep busy and not think too much about it... I've tied up a lot of loose ends, both with people and with projects, in the past couple days. But on to happier stuff. Today we are celebrating Tiff's birthday! We're making a duckie cake, and d