Skip to main content

Dias Marcantes

So, as I'm sure all of you know, I take a lot of pictures, and often like to use pictures to express my thoughts or feelings.  This last week was full of notable days and "anniversaries", which left me very thoughtful.  A lot of this will be about the mission, just because that ended a year ago, and it's been in my thoughts lately.
Como a maioria de vocês sabe, eu tiro muitas fotos, e frequentemente gosto de usar fotos para expressar meus pensamentos ou sentimentos.  A semana passada foi cheia de dias marcantes e "aniversários", quais me deixaram bem pensativa.  Muito disso será sobre a missão, pois acabou um ano atrás, e tem side nos meus pensamentos ultimamente.


September 10, 2000.  This was the day I was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.  I wish I had a picture of this day, but I don't.  I'm sure Elders Snyder and Zaldaña do, though.  But last year, on September 11, I was able to witness my last baptism as a full-time missionary.  Kevin was a little boy I'd really grown to love over the few months I was in Cumbica, and to see him baptized only a few short days before I returned home was really special.
September 10 was his interview, after which we went and grabbed a bite of pizza with the Elders who came to do the interview.
Dia 10 de Setembro 2000.  Esse foi o dia que eu fui batizada na Igreja de Jesus Cristo dos Santos dos Últimos dias.  Eu queria que eu tivesse uma foto desse dia, mas infelizmente não tenho.  Com certeza Elders Snyder e Zaldaña têm.  Mas no ano passado, dia 11 de Setembro, eu tive a oportunidade de ver meu último batismos como missionária de tempo-integral.  Kevin foi um menino que eu cheguei a amar muito durante os meses que eu estava em Cumbica, e para vê-lo batizado poucos dias antes da minha volta para casa foi muito especial.
Dia 10 de Setembro foi a entrevista dele, e depois fomos comer pizza com os Elderes que fizeram sua entrevista.










September 11, 2001.  I don't need to say much about this day.  It was a day that changed not only my life, but the history of the world.  It is a day I will never forget.
Dia 11 de Setembro 2001.  Não preciso dizer muito sobre esse dia.  Foi um dia que não apenas mudou a minha vida, mas também mudou a história do mundo.  É um dia que jamais me esquecerei.

September 11 was also Eunádia birthday....my awesome other mom! :)
Dia 11 de Setembro também foi o aniversário da Eunádia, minha outra mãe! :)

September 12, 2011.  I said a lot of goodbyes...... I taught my final lessons, packed my bags, had churrasco, and then tried to accept the fact that I'd have to return to normal life!           Dia 12 de Setembro 2011.  Eu me despedi de muitos.  Ensinei minhas últimas lições, arrumei as malas, comi churrasco, e tentei aceitar o fato que eu teria que volta à vida normal!


September 13 & 14, 2011.  I went to the temple with President and Sister Moreira, and took pictures with some of my absolute favorite people, people who have not only marked, but changed my life.  These pictures are now bittersweet for me...Then I got on the airplane and headed back to the United States, which at that moment no longer felt like home.
Dias 13 & 14 de Setembro, 2011.  Fui ao templo de São Paulo com Presidente e Sister Moreira, e tirei fotos com algumas das minhas pessoas preferidas, pessoas que não apenas marcaram mas sim, mudaram minha vida.  Essas fotos agora são doces e também tristes para mim...  Então, peguei um avião para voltar aos Estados Unidos, que naquela época nem sentia mais que era minha casa.


 I also said goodbye to Renato (Elder Araújo), not knowing what the future held for us!  But I guess in reality, it was just a "seeya later"...
Também me despedi do Renato (Elder Araújo), não sabendo o que o futuro tinha para nós!  Mas na realidade, parece que foi apenas um "até mais!"


September 15, 2011.  I got home from the mission.  I was reunited with my beloved family and dear friends. It was happy and exciting, though I have to admit that I was in a daze and when I got off the plane, the thing I wanted most was to get back on and go back to São Paulo!  This is also a day I will never forget, nor will I ever forget the moment I was released from being a full-time missionary.  The 18 months I spent in the São Paulo East mission with President and Sister Moreira, the other missionaries, and the members and people I taught changed me, changed my future, and changed my eternity.  I would not trade that time for anything, ever.  And now, a year later, all I can do is look back, knowing I did my best, and keep progressing in life.  I still think about it every day, and I sometimes miss it, but I've definitely gotten better than I was for the first while I was home!  In one year, I have seen countless blessings from the Lord, all of which I can attribute to my having served a mission.
Dia 15 de Setembro, 2011.  Cheguei em casa da missão.  Fui reunida com minha amada família e queridos amigos.  Eu estava feliz e animada, mas tenho que admitir que a coisa que eu mais queria foi voltar para o avião e voltar para São Paulo!  Esse também foi um dia que jamais vou esquecer, nem vou esquecer do momento que fui desobrigada de ser uma missionária de tempo-integral.  Os 18 meses que passei na Missão São Paulo Leste (Nobre Missão!) com Presidente e Sister Moreira, os outros missionários, e os membros e pessoas que ensinei me mudaram, mudaram meu futuro, e mudaram minha eternidade.  Eu não trocaria aquele tempo por nada, nunca.  E agora, um ano depois, tudo que posso fazer é olhar atrás, sabendo que dei meu melhor, e continuar progredindo na vida.  Ainda penso na missão diariamente, e ainda tenho saudades, mas com certeza estou bem melhor do que eu estava logo depois de chegar em casa por um tempo!  Em um ano, tenho visto bênção inúmeras do Senhor, todas que posso dizer vieram porque eu servi uma missão.














September 18, 2011.  Jessica Davis was baptized!  My first Sunday back, and I still got to see a baptism!!
Dia 18 de Setembro, 2011.  Jessica Davis foi batizada!  Meu primeiro domingo de volta, e ainda pude ver um batismo!!



And finally, this week has my mom's birthday.  September 20.  Mom, you are the best.  I am so grateful and blessed to have you as my mother, my example.  As I've gotten older, and especially now as I am thinking about my future family, I see how much I've learned and continue to learn from you.  You are an amazing woman, and I want to be just like you when I grow up!!! I love you!
Finalmente, essa semana tem o aniversário da minha mãe.  Dia 20 de Setembro.  Mãe, a senhora é o melhor.  Sou tão grata e abençoada por tê-la como minha mãe, meu exemplo.  Agora que tenho crescido mais, e especialmente agora que estou pensando mais em minha futura família, vejo o quanto que tenho aprendido com a senhora, e continuo a aprender da senhora.  A senhora é uma mulher incrível, e quero ser igual à senhora quando eu crescer!!!!  Eu te amo!


Comments

  1. Oh my goodness. That's high praise indeed. Thank you Karen, but, you know, I want to be just like YOU when I grow up!!!!!

    Love,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

10 Things I love about Hannaford

So originally I was going to do this in sarcasm...but then decided that I could actually come up with 10 things (in no specific order) I like about my job. Even though being a cashier at a grocery store is not ideal, it's a job, and...well, you'll see. 1. Going on break with my dad sometimes. Because, you know, we work in the same store. It's pretty cool. 2. I love the people I work with soooooo much! Mainly the ones during the day, because I don't know any of the high school kids that work evenings, because I rarely work evenings. 3. Being the "party animal". nuff said. 4. Watching a cashier ID someone for alcohol, and him telling us that he doesn't even have a photo ID since his license was taken away for DWI. Yeah, maybe he should rethink his purchase... 5. Now when I hear the name of a vegetable, I automatically think of its PLU. Dates: 3047. Cabbage: 4069. Bananas: 4011. Tree Ripe Peaches: 4044. Eastern Peaches: 4403. Nectarines: 4378.

Greased Lightning

It's snowing today! And what a great day it's been...minus the fact that I haven't finished nearly as much as I should have by now. But I DID go outside and play in the snow...and that's important! The snow was fresh in the tree....so I did what any little kid would do, and licked it. It was snow AND ice...good thing my tongue didn't freeze to the tree in my front yard! I love tree branches in the snow. There's just something about the combination of brown and pure white that strikes my artistic bone. Part of the tree and part of my house. Looking up Pennichuck Street. So picturesque. Me in my getup...I borrowed Michael's boots because I don't have any in NH (except for my cowboy boots....), and he gave me his snowshoeing boots, because they each weight like 5 pounds, and he just wanted to see me try to walk in them. My sunglasses made a comeback! Well, that's today. I've got a couple papers to write for English 316, and a bunch of Bio to r

10 Things I hate about Hannaford

Today was one of those days. I've had this list growing in my head for a while too, and today I just want to write it all down, cuz the first part of work, until I got back from my break, pretty much sucked. Stupid people. So in no specific order... 1. Frozen pizzas. I don't like eating them, and I hate them even worse at the register, because their barcodes are dumb and they don't fit in bags. 2. paper in plastic. Seriously, what's the point?! 3. customers who bag for themselves on express. THERE IS NO ROOM ANYWAY, and yet they're making less. This also includes the people who rearrange as you bag for them. yuck. if you want it a specific way, just tell us! 4. people who smell bad. nuff said. 5. old guys who wink at me. and hit on me. sick. 6. when dillon is not my bagger. hahahah. 7. when someone asks "where's corn flake crumbs?" like anyone could even know that. what are those even used for?! just get the crumbs from the bottom o