Skip to main content

3 Things I can't Live without: Açaí, Uma Rede, e Churrasco

Hey Fam and Friends and the whole world who reads this!

So....Tomorrow is transfers. Already. Our LZ called this morning, and told me to pack my bags. In a few hours, I'll find out where I'm going. I think it's for real this time that I am leaving here. Yep, I'm basically sad about it....it's like leaving my family all over again, only worse, cuz I won't be returning here! So today....we're just gonna do some last-minute stuff, and visit a ton of people here. I'm really anxious and want to know where I am going. And who will be coming here to work with Sister Rocha.
Well as for the week...had its ups and downs, as usual. We had another 2-day division, which was awesome. Sister Holanda came here and spent a couple days here in Vista Verde, and we taught and found a bunch of people. We had a ton of people lined up to come to church this week, and we were running after them all week, confirming again and again that they'd be at church, but in the end, only one person showed up, and he had a lot of potential to be baptized next week, but some unexpected complications came up with that, so that was a bummer. But at least he liked church and said he'll come back next week. Also, during the division, I hit 10 months in the mission, so Sister Holanda made a cake, and we had a small 2-person party here in the house. It was fun. We took pictures, which you'll all see after the mission, only cuz I don't have them on my broken camera...she's got them and will make me a CD. Thank goodness for good friends!

The area where we are working now, we are only finding families....this is already a huge answer to our prayers, because all the other areas have unmarried people, kids, and partial families. While these people need the gospel in their lives, it is more complicated for them to progress, but with an entire family progressing together, it's a lot easier for the people to stay strong before AND after baptism. Of course, this area is far from the chapel, but the people are better-off than in other places we'd been working....which also means it's harder to get people to church, as I was saying, but it is not impossible. The other difficulty with this time of year is that it is holidays for everyone...like July at home. Everyone is travelling, hitting the beach, and basically just not at home. That is the more complicated part.
We did another Expo-Mormon, in front of the chapel this time. It was good...didn't rain (woohoo!)...but this area where the chapel is is not terrible busy. So we talked to every single person who walked by, gave out a million passalong cards, and got a few addresses, as well as a few people who signed up for the English classes which will start in February. Oh, last night, we spent a bunch of time with our LMA making invitations to the musical fireside at the end of the month, so we can give those out to investigators, street contacts, and other members to pass along. This is awesome....the work, though slowly, is really moving forward here. In the 6 months I've been in this area, things have changed mightily.
Some other fantastic investigators we have now are Bruno and Bela. Bruno is a media reference, and when we went there to deliver what he asked for, we got to have a splendid lesson with him....he understood everything very well, and was telling us what we were about to say before we said it, in that he was understanding and using our examples to explain what we had taught! It was awesome! He is really cool, and already wants to serve a mission...hehehe. :) And Bela, who is not at all related to Bruno, is another interesting investigator. She is the daughter of an inactive member, and since her mother left the church when she was 8, she was never baptized. She has a TON of questions, about EVERYTHING! We spent about 2 hours with her on Friday night, just answering questions and talking with her. She asked us to come back and teach her what she needs to know to be baptized. HOLY COW. It was an awesome lesson, but I was completely exhausted by the end of it, since it was half bible-bash, in an edifying way. Meaning she just wanted proof in the Bible. So we gave it to her, but also in the Book of Mormon. :) Cuz the Book of Mormon has more power than the Bible.
Welp, gotta go email President, and take care of a few "bombs" that were dropped on me this morning....things always come up unexpectedly, and we always have to know somehow how to respond to these things, ya know? Oh well.....it'll all work out somehow.
I love you all! Thanks for reading, even though I know I just ramble and don't even make sense half the time! Keep strong, and read the Book of Mormon every day. For real. It will change your life more than it already has, and if you search and study, you will find answers every single day, to ALL your questions and worries and doubts and everything you need to know. It is amazing how the Lord talks to us through the scriptures.
Love,
Karen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Things I love about Hannaford

So originally I was going to do this in sarcasm...but then decided that I could actually come up with 10 things (in no specific order) I like about my job. Even though being a cashier at a grocery store is not ideal, it's a job, and...well, you'll see. 1. Going on break with my dad sometimes. Because, you know, we work in the same store. It's pretty cool. 2. I love the people I work with soooooo much! Mainly the ones during the day, because I don't know any of the high school kids that work evenings, because I rarely work evenings. 3. Being the "party animal". nuff said. 4. Watching a cashier ID someone for alcohol, and him telling us that he doesn't even have a photo ID since his license was taken away for DWI. Yeah, maybe he should rethink his purchase... 5. Now when I hear the name of a vegetable, I automatically think of its PLU. Dates: 3047. Cabbage: 4069. Bananas: 4011. Tree Ripe Peaches: 4044. Eastern Peaches: 4403. Nectarines: 4378.

Happy birthday Tiff Tiff!

So there's no more classes. Only finals left. I'm keeping busy doing things, whether school-related or not, but it's still weird. Last night I was sitting here putting together some videos and such that Tiff and I have done all year, and it finally hit me that...I'm done class for two years here. It's a weird feeling, and I don't know how to describe it really...bittersweet isn't quite the word. Because I'm leaving so soon, I've been feeling a bit melancholy lately...it's so weird. And it's hard when people keep telling me to come back in the fall. I don't know...I've had a LOT on my mind lately, and I still feel like I'm doing the right thing. So I've been trying to keep busy and not think too much about it... I've tied up a lot of loose ends, both with people and with projects, in the past couple days. But on to happier stuff. Today we are celebrating Tiff's birthday! We're making a duckie cake, and d

You make me smile

Stanford Larsen:  One of my dearest friends.  Also one of the few people in this world who never let me down...ever.  Every time I think back to memories with him, i can't help but smile.  He has left a smile on my heart forever. Watermelon always makes me smile.  No other explanation needed. My cats make me smile.  They purr and are happy kitties. Snow of course.  Snow snow snow!  Snow angels, snowballs, snowmen, snow forts, snow fights, snow shoveling, snowfall, snow! My family.  They're all my best friends.  I couldn't ask for a better family...ever. Mater.  Cars.  The music in the movie.  Watching the movie over and over again, on rainy or sunny days.  Lots of memories that go with this movie, too. Country.  Country music.  Country dancing.  Country movies.  Nashville.  Country stars.  Cowboys.  One in particular.  All of these things make me smile like I'd never smiled before I found them.  I want to be this! :) Lots of things make me smile. Lots