Skip to main content

I Successfully Avoided Eating Pig Feet this Week!

Hello out there in the land of...well, not missionary life!
First of all, this email will be random...well, I guess they all are. But hey. Maybe more random than usual. Our week was like that. Still we've got really no investigators, but this week we are going to work even harder. As of now, I've been at church 3 weeks in a row without new investigators. But we are still working hard. I learned a few things this week, as I tried hard to be a perfectionist and got bummed when I fell short. I learned that it isn't about perfection on the mish; it's about honestly doing my best and the Lord will fill in the gaps. And that knowledge has made me a lot happier and less stressed as I just try to do my part and not worry so much about being burned by our leaders at district meetings. We have really good leaders too, which helps.

Also, I told you our area is huge, right? Well, it's so huge that we walked to Argentina this week. For real. Hah! There's a section of the area that has streets with the names of all the countries in the Americas. I got a photo of me in the USA... :) We walked and walked and walked and walked and walked and walked and walked and walked....this entire week. Remember that primary song about the pioneers walking (até o pó)? Well, I know how that is now...hahaha.
Finally near the end of the week, we got to teach people in their houses. Just a couple. But they let us in! That's a miracle. The people here aren't very receptive to us...yet. But I'm trying to figure out how I can improve in approaching people and making contacts and all that, because clearly I am not perfect and there's room for improvement, and I think with improvement, more lessons will follow. This opening an area thing is definitely a learning experience! And this week, we have sisters in the RS walking with us every day except Wednesday, to teach with us. That's helpful!
Some funny experiences...drunk Brazilians talking to an American can be pretty funny. I heard some good questions...like "in the US, do you have the Book of Mormon in English?" And I also heard that science proves that the Bible is full of stories for children, made up tales, and that Christ taught in parables because he really wasn't that smart...or something like that. It really didn't make sense. I let my comp just talk with him, because I have some pretty strong feelings on the subject of science and religion (obviously and understandably). Also, the other day, the phone rang and I answered, and it was one of our Zone Leaders, and he got all confused and didn't know who was talking right away, thinking I was my comp...weird. He said I was talking without an accent. Well, that only lasted for a few seconds. I'm pretty sure it was that very night that some people were laughing in my face at my accent. Don't worry, they were kids, not adults. Hahaha oh man. Good times. :) Finally...I made popcorn, and it reminded me of the good old days at home, watching movies and eating popcorn. AND...Oh wait, more funny stories. We ate lunch with a lady on Saturday who had a million of the men in the ward there working on the house, and one of the brothers there was from a different ward, and he started talking ot me and said "you only have 5 months in the mission, right?" and that was funny, since I'd never even seen him before in my life, let alone told him that. He told me the missionaries in his ward had told him about me and my apparently incredible portuguese for only 5 months. Hahaha. I had a good laugh at that! Also, we found some more cockroaches in our house...last night, it was in our bedroom. So...I smashed it. :) And now, finally. There's a cowboy here who rides his horse down one particular street (complete with cowboy hat and everything), so we've seen him a few times. One of these days, when I get home, I'm gonna learn to ride a horse.

Yesterday in church, a lot of the lessons/talks were about the Word of Wisdom. It got me thinking. The Word of Wisdom doesn't only prohibit 5 things, but it also encourages us to make wise decisions in what we DO eat, and to exercise regularly, and do everything we can to keep our bodies in tip-top shape. Because really, our bodies are gifts from the Lord. We are blessed to have the opportunity to live here on the earth, with our bodies, and to become more like our Heavenly Father each day. So, now I'm trying my best to remember that each day. It's easy to eat way too much here, as everyone says "come mais, sister!" But...I don't want to get home fat. I already have gained weight (not a lot, clearly). But hey, that's not the point. The point is that I want to remain healthy and respect the body/temple that I have been given. In all respects, not just in eating and exercising. Nossa, we are so blessed!

As always, thanks for your support, letters, emails, prayers, smiles, thoughts, and everything else y'all are always doing for me. I love you!!!!!
Love,
Karen
PS...breakthrough news: I sang by myself. I'm serious.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Things I love about Hannaford

So originally I was going to do this in sarcasm...but then decided that I could actually come up with 10 things (in no specific order) I like about my job. Even though being a cashier at a grocery store is not ideal, it's a job, and...well, you'll see. 1. Going on break with my dad sometimes. Because, you know, we work in the same store. It's pretty cool. 2. I love the people I work with soooooo much! Mainly the ones during the day, because I don't know any of the high school kids that work evenings, because I rarely work evenings. 3. Being the "party animal". nuff said. 4. Watching a cashier ID someone for alcohol, and him telling us that he doesn't even have a photo ID since his license was taken away for DWI. Yeah, maybe he should rethink his purchase... 5. Now when I hear the name of a vegetable, I automatically think of its PLU. Dates: 3047. Cabbage: 4069. Bananas: 4011. Tree Ripe Peaches: 4044. Eastern Peaches: 4403. Nectarines: 4378.

Greased Lightning

It's snowing today! And what a great day it's been...minus the fact that I haven't finished nearly as much as I should have by now. But I DID go outside and play in the snow...and that's important! The snow was fresh in the tree....so I did what any little kid would do, and licked it. It was snow AND ice...good thing my tongue didn't freeze to the tree in my front yard! I love tree branches in the snow. There's just something about the combination of brown and pure white that strikes my artistic bone. Part of the tree and part of my house. Looking up Pennichuck Street. So picturesque. Me in my getup...I borrowed Michael's boots because I don't have any in NH (except for my cowboy boots....), and he gave me his snowshoeing boots, because they each weight like 5 pounds, and he just wanted to see me try to walk in them. My sunglasses made a comeback! Well, that's today. I've got a couple papers to write for English 316, and a bunch of Bio to r

10 Things I hate about Hannaford

Today was one of those days. I've had this list growing in my head for a while too, and today I just want to write it all down, cuz the first part of work, until I got back from my break, pretty much sucked. Stupid people. So in no specific order... 1. Frozen pizzas. I don't like eating them, and I hate them even worse at the register, because their barcodes are dumb and they don't fit in bags. 2. paper in plastic. Seriously, what's the point?! 3. customers who bag for themselves on express. THERE IS NO ROOM ANYWAY, and yet they're making less. This also includes the people who rearrange as you bag for them. yuck. if you want it a specific way, just tell us! 4. people who smell bad. nuff said. 5. old guys who wink at me. and hit on me. sick. 6. when dillon is not my bagger. hahahah. 7. when someone asks "where's corn flake crumbs?" like anyone could even know that. what are those even used for?! just get the crumbs from the bottom o