Skip to main content

Rain, Rain, Rain!

(NOTE:  Received April 6, 2010)

Hello family, and friends too!

So this week has fewer stories than the usual. We get to go proselyting in a few days, so we've been a lot more focused lately. In some ways. I'm really pushing myself harder than usual this week, that's for sure. I've only got 4 weeks left here, and have so much yet to learn!

A few days ago, we were teaching some lessons, and we asked one of the Zone Leaders if we could practice teaching him. We ended up throwing away our original plan, and we sat with him for over an hour, while he helped us learn how to be better missionaries and answer tough questions. He was really encouraging while we were discouraged. He told us that the language is not our problem, because every time we figure out how to say something in English we translate it quickly and easily to Portuguese. So my problem right now is know how to be a missionary, really. I need to learn how to better answer questions and how to connect better with people. I'll get there though. The Lord wants me here and won't leave me to be useless!

Here's another crazy BYU connection. So this week, we got a ton more new sisters. I was talking to one of them the day after they got here, and as soon as she saw me, she was like I KNOW YOU. So it took us like 10 minutes to figure out how we knew each other. We knew it was through BYU, but we couldn't figure out how! Finally, at the same isntant, we both realized that we used to work together at KBYU! it's fun.

One of the Elders in my district is from Oak City, Utah, which is a cowboy town. Near Delta, if that tells you anything. One of the funniest things I've ever heard is him imitating the cowboys, talking about truck and all that. And on another note, another of the Elders was sick latley, so the rest of the Elders in our district gave him a blessing. I love seeing that. These kids are 19 years old and have way more responsibility than I had at their age!

So remember how I said we've been teaching a lot more lately? Usually we just teach other American districts, but a few days ago, we got to teach a Brazilian district, which was pretty cool! They told us that we did well and I could understand them when they talked, so that's a good thing, right?? :)

Here's something cool. In Ether, it talks about elephants in the Americas. And in Genesis 25:10, it talks about the earth being divided. Geology is made up? Definitely not! It is scripturally based!! General conference was amazing. I wrote you a long letter about it that you should get next week sometimes, because I am mailing it right after I leave here in half an hour. Easter was also fun, because we got cookies! But that was about the extent of Easter celebrations. It was weird! I haven't been home for Easter in a long time, but this was even more different somehow. But general conference in the MTC is amazing. We had a REAL weekend, with two days off and everything!

Last week, because one of our teachers always judges the Elders' ties, my comps and I bought ties. We wanted to win for best ties. And we did! We wore black skirts, white shirts, and our ties to class on Wednesday morning. And our Elders thought it was hilarious, and my teacher just about died laughing! He loved it.

My scripture for the week....3 Nephi 11:3-8. Be listening for the voice of the Lord. He's always trying to reach us, but sometimes we don't put all our effort into listening, even when we know it's there. The voice of the Lord comes through the Spirit, and it's a still small voice. We need to put all of our attention into trying to hear it and learning from it. I've been trying to work harder at that lately too. It can be hard, what with life being so busy sometimes! But we need to remember what's most important. And that is the Lord and His work.

All my love,
Karen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Things I love about Hannaford

So originally I was going to do this in sarcasm...but then decided that I could actually come up with 10 things (in no specific order) I like about my job. Even though being a cashier at a grocery store is not ideal, it's a job, and...well, you'll see. 1. Going on break with my dad sometimes. Because, you know, we work in the same store. It's pretty cool. 2. I love the people I work with soooooo much! Mainly the ones during the day, because I don't know any of the high school kids that work evenings, because I rarely work evenings. 3. Being the "party animal". nuff said. 4. Watching a cashier ID someone for alcohol, and him telling us that he doesn't even have a photo ID since his license was taken away for DWI. Yeah, maybe he should rethink his purchase... 5. Now when I hear the name of a vegetable, I automatically think of its PLU. Dates: 3047. Cabbage: 4069. Bananas: 4011. Tree Ripe Peaches: 4044. Eastern Peaches: 4403. Nectarines: 4378.

Greased Lightning

It's snowing today! And what a great day it's been...minus the fact that I haven't finished nearly as much as I should have by now. But I DID go outside and play in the snow...and that's important! The snow was fresh in the tree....so I did what any little kid would do, and licked it. It was snow AND ice...good thing my tongue didn't freeze to the tree in my front yard! I love tree branches in the snow. There's just something about the combination of brown and pure white that strikes my artistic bone. Part of the tree and part of my house. Looking up Pennichuck Street. So picturesque. Me in my getup...I borrowed Michael's boots because I don't have any in NH (except for my cowboy boots....), and he gave me his snowshoeing boots, because they each weight like 5 pounds, and he just wanted to see me try to walk in them. My sunglasses made a comeback! Well, that's today. I've got a couple papers to write for English 316, and a bunch of Bio to r

10 Things I hate about Hannaford

Today was one of those days. I've had this list growing in my head for a while too, and today I just want to write it all down, cuz the first part of work, until I got back from my break, pretty much sucked. Stupid people. So in no specific order... 1. Frozen pizzas. I don't like eating them, and I hate them even worse at the register, because their barcodes are dumb and they don't fit in bags. 2. paper in plastic. Seriously, what's the point?! 3. customers who bag for themselves on express. THERE IS NO ROOM ANYWAY, and yet they're making less. This also includes the people who rearrange as you bag for them. yuck. if you want it a specific way, just tell us! 4. people who smell bad. nuff said. 5. old guys who wink at me. and hit on me. sick. 6. when dillon is not my bagger. hahahah. 7. when someone asks "where's corn flake crumbs?" like anyone could even know that. what are those even used for?! just get the crumbs from the bottom o