Skip to main content

Why Yes, I do Enjoy Speaking Portuguese

(Note:  Received on March 16, 2009)

Hello family!

First, to answer some questions.  I am the best toilet flusher because the toilets (some of them) are nearly impossible to flush, and I figured out right away how to do so, and have been teaching the other sisters who have been having trouble, so Sister Richardson said that I am the best toilet flusher around. :)

I'm sending a letter off to y'all today (well, to the Pennichuck Street address).  It takes like 3 weeks for one direction.  I got my first letter a week ago, and it was sent 19 days before it got here.  Just so you know.

Alright, first things first.  I got companions last week!  Sister Christensen is from Orem, and she knows Rachelle, my roommate!  Sister Nielson is from Texas, and her step-dad is a geologist. :)  I also have a new district, new teachers, a new branch, and finally a real nametag!!!  My district is fun.

My old district is awesome- they still look out for me all the time, and they don't pass by me without saying hi, or waving, or asking how things are going.  It's like I have 11 brothers here!  They told me the other day that I need to come back to their district, because when I left, the Spirit left too.  Sad.  But I don't believe it, because they always sing hymns and stuff, which obviously brings in the Spirit.  They're goofballs. :)

Portuguese is coming along.  Since my new district came in, I've been learning at a slower pace, because all we've done is review.  It's really frustrating to me, because I want so badly to learn this language, but I feel like class time is a lot of wasted time for me.  And I don't have the time to learn it on my own, but I'm doing what I can.  I only have 7 weeks left here, and I feel like I haven't really progressed in the language since last Wednesday.  But sitting with Brazilians at meals REALLY helps.  There are some I've gotten friendly with who just came in on Thursday, so we sit with them a bunch.  And some of my Brazilian friends left this morning.  Actually, I'm one of the "oldest" sisters here now.  Those of us who got here on March 5, are the ones who have been here the longest at this point.  We get some more tomorrow and Thursday though!  We've only got 10 sisters right now!

I got to go to the Temple today, which was awesome.  It really got me thinking about who the Lord's anointed are.  They are everyone with a calling.  Yeah, I could expand on that, but I just don't have the time.  You'll get my letter in a few weeks about the gift of tongues, and just apply that to the covenant of no evil-speaking of the Lord's anointed.  Oh yeah, my letter isn't as long as I had hoped, but it's a letter nonetheless.

OH!  yesterday we had a true American summertime dinner- hamburgers, chips, and watermelon!  I get to eat watermelon just about every day now!  It's pretty awesome. :)  I have no complaints about that!

Another thing that's cool about Brazil and Sao Paulo is that there is music in the streets sometimes, especially on the weekends. We were sitting in our room the other day, and it was silent in there, but you could hear the music in the streets.  It was so neat.  I really love it here!  And I love the rain here!  So far, it's only rained twice, and the second time was jsut briefly, and we had a brief thunderstorm too.  It's great.  I'm sure I won't love it so much when I have to walk around in it, drenched. :)

Sometimes, I think I need more faith.  It's been a really trying week, and I have really struggled in a few ways, though not specifically with my faith.  No, that's strong, and it's my knowledge that I'm supposed to be here that keeps me going.  Going to the Temple was really good today.  But mostly I just need patience, humility, and charity.  I realized that last Thursday...actually, Wednesday night.  When I gained my other two thirds (my comps).  :)  But it's all good.  Life is about learning, and that's what I am doing, so at least I'm partially on the right track!

Oh- we found a cockroach the other day!  And all three of us screamed when we saw it, even though none of us are screamers!  Then a Brazilian came (and after they all laughed at us), and she took her shoe and massacred the thing.  It was great!

Leaving you with a scripture..1 Corinthians 12:31.  Gain spiritual gifts!  I've been studying a lot about those lately in my personal study time, and it has been amazing.  I don't have the Bible in front of me at the moment, but go read this...it's a great verse!

I love you all!  Expect letters starting in the next few weeks!

Much Love,
Karen

PS- I'm getting fat! ah!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Things I love about Hannaford

So originally I was going to do this in sarcasm...but then decided that I could actually come up with 10 things (in no specific order) I like about my job. Even though being a cashier at a grocery store is not ideal, it's a job, and...well, you'll see. 1. Going on break with my dad sometimes. Because, you know, we work in the same store. It's pretty cool. 2. I love the people I work with soooooo much! Mainly the ones during the day, because I don't know any of the high school kids that work evenings, because I rarely work evenings. 3. Being the "party animal". nuff said. 4. Watching a cashier ID someone for alcohol, and him telling us that he doesn't even have a photo ID since his license was taken away for DWI. Yeah, maybe he should rethink his purchase... 5. Now when I hear the name of a vegetable, I automatically think of its PLU. Dates: 3047. Cabbage: 4069. Bananas: 4011. Tree Ripe Peaches: 4044. Eastern Peaches: 4403. Nectarines: 4378.

Greased Lightning

It's snowing today! And what a great day it's been...minus the fact that I haven't finished nearly as much as I should have by now. But I DID go outside and play in the snow...and that's important! The snow was fresh in the tree....so I did what any little kid would do, and licked it. It was snow AND ice...good thing my tongue didn't freeze to the tree in my front yard! I love tree branches in the snow. There's just something about the combination of brown and pure white that strikes my artistic bone. Part of the tree and part of my house. Looking up Pennichuck Street. So picturesque. Me in my getup...I borrowed Michael's boots because I don't have any in NH (except for my cowboy boots....), and he gave me his snowshoeing boots, because they each weight like 5 pounds, and he just wanted to see me try to walk in them. My sunglasses made a comeback! Well, that's today. I've got a couple papers to write for English 316, and a bunch of Bio to r

10 Things I hate about Hannaford

Today was one of those days. I've had this list growing in my head for a while too, and today I just want to write it all down, cuz the first part of work, until I got back from my break, pretty much sucked. Stupid people. So in no specific order... 1. Frozen pizzas. I don't like eating them, and I hate them even worse at the register, because their barcodes are dumb and they don't fit in bags. 2. paper in plastic. Seriously, what's the point?! 3. customers who bag for themselves on express. THERE IS NO ROOM ANYWAY, and yet they're making less. This also includes the people who rearrange as you bag for them. yuck. if you want it a specific way, just tell us! 4. people who smell bad. nuff said. 5. old guys who wink at me. and hit on me. sick. 6. when dillon is not my bagger. hahahah. 7. when someone asks "where's corn flake crumbs?" like anyone could even know that. what are those even used for?! just get the crumbs from the bottom o