Skip to main content

Carpe diem

Inspired by James's last post found here.

You only get a once in a lifetime chance...once in a lifetime. You only make a once in a lifetime friend...once in a lifetime.  You've heard it all before, I'm sure.  What are some things YOU have only done once in a lifetime?  Like James, I've got a bunch of those...because my parents are awesome, and taught me from the day I was born that my backyard is not the center of the world.  We traveled.  We drove everywhere we went, so we saw more that way.  That sense of adventure has not left me.  Perhaps that is why it does not scare me to be half a world away from my family in Brazil.  Perhaps that is why I've been to Alaska, every province in Canada, Death Valley California, 30-something states, 9 different countries, etc. Perhaps that is why I do what may seem like crazy things sometimes.

I believe in carpe diem.  Seize that day!  You never know when you'll get to do something again, and you will never live the same day twice.  Live every moment in the present, and enjoy life, even the bumps in the road.  Some of my favorite fun-filled days are the ones where I got next to no sleep, had adventures with family and friends, and had far too much to write about in my journal afterwards.  Sometimes we didn't even go anywhere on those days.  Like the day Tiff and I played soccer in the kitchen and broke the table found here.  Or when Mel and Carolee and Steven and Michael and I made a movie found here.  Or when Michael tried out his ninja skills and [failed!] found here.

Then there were times where I seized the day elsewhere.  On my 20th birthday, some of my friends and I partied all day.  By "partied", I mean that we did 20 things I'd never done before!  It was probably the best birthday I've had, and it included going to the top of the SWKT, getting sung to at Denny's at about 1am, and going Jewish dancing.  Another time, I went to a Vocal Point Concert, and they sang to me on stage.  Once, in Idaho, we drove completely the wrong way...but it was okay, because I was with friends!  Another time, I pulled an all-nighter...my first ever, and it wasn't til second semester of sophomore year in college!  One time, I went cow-tipping in Austria.  And another time I went to the top of the Eiffel Tower.

So many good memories...so many part of my life that have only happened once.  Even every day things only happen once.  I work almost every day, and one day last week was unique, and one of the best I've had!  I talk to my friends on the phone lots, but some conversations are more memorable than others.  Today is Fast Sunday, and is the last one I get to go to in HP until after the mish.  No two days are ever exactly alike.  Seize the day, life for the present, and enjoy life!  Create lots of once in a lifetime moments!

Comments

  1. Wonderful post, Karen. You and James are my inspiration! Thanks so much for posting this. Along with James' post, it made me reflect and post a blog, too.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

10 Things I love about Hannaford

So originally I was going to do this in sarcasm...but then decided that I could actually come up with 10 things (in no specific order) I like about my job. Even though being a cashier at a grocery store is not ideal, it's a job, and...well, you'll see. 1. Going on break with my dad sometimes. Because, you know, we work in the same store. It's pretty cool. 2. I love the people I work with soooooo much! Mainly the ones during the day, because I don't know any of the high school kids that work evenings, because I rarely work evenings. 3. Being the "party animal". nuff said. 4. Watching a cashier ID someone for alcohol, and him telling us that he doesn't even have a photo ID since his license was taken away for DWI. Yeah, maybe he should rethink his purchase... 5. Now when I hear the name of a vegetable, I automatically think of its PLU. Dates: 3047. Cabbage: 4069. Bananas: 4011. Tree Ripe Peaches: 4044. Eastern Peaches: 4403. Nectarines: 4378.

Greased Lightning

It's snowing today! And what a great day it's been...minus the fact that I haven't finished nearly as much as I should have by now. But I DID go outside and play in the snow...and that's important! The snow was fresh in the tree....so I did what any little kid would do, and licked it. It was snow AND ice...good thing my tongue didn't freeze to the tree in my front yard! I love tree branches in the snow. There's just something about the combination of brown and pure white that strikes my artistic bone. Part of the tree and part of my house. Looking up Pennichuck Street. So picturesque. Me in my getup...I borrowed Michael's boots because I don't have any in NH (except for my cowboy boots....), and he gave me his snowshoeing boots, because they each weight like 5 pounds, and he just wanted to see me try to walk in them. My sunglasses made a comeback! Well, that's today. I've got a couple papers to write for English 316, and a bunch of Bio to r

10 Things I hate about Hannaford

Today was one of those days. I've had this list growing in my head for a while too, and today I just want to write it all down, cuz the first part of work, until I got back from my break, pretty much sucked. Stupid people. So in no specific order... 1. Frozen pizzas. I don't like eating them, and I hate them even worse at the register, because their barcodes are dumb and they don't fit in bags. 2. paper in plastic. Seriously, what's the point?! 3. customers who bag for themselves on express. THERE IS NO ROOM ANYWAY, and yet they're making less. This also includes the people who rearrange as you bag for them. yuck. if you want it a specific way, just tell us! 4. people who smell bad. nuff said. 5. old guys who wink at me. and hit on me. sick. 6. when dillon is not my bagger. hahahah. 7. when someone asks "where's corn flake crumbs?" like anyone could even know that. what are those even used for?! just get the crumbs from the bottom o