Skip to main content

Really? REALLY!?

At work, because I'm a cashier and because I work at Hannaford, part of my job is to "host."  This is where I go out in front of the register when I don't have any customers, and "host..."  It's effective in a few ways.  First, I get to move around.  Definitely nicer than standing in one spot.  Second, I get to interact more with customers and other associates.  Third, there are more employees visible (if everyone is hosting as they should be) for customers to ask questions.  They ask me where stuff is.  I don't usually know, but sometimes I do.

But sometimes some things about hosting get old.  Like standing there aimlessly.  Even though I'd be doing that anyway.  The worst though, are the lines I get.  You'll see in a moment.  These are phrases I'm sick and tired of hearing...because EVERYONE says them and they think they're funny and original:

-"Are you waiting for me?"  
Yes.  Of course.  Because the world revolves around YOU.

-"You look bored."  or "Are you bored? Let me give you something to do!"
Yeah duh I'm bored.  But you giving me three items to scan isn't going to fix that.

-"You look lonely."
...YOU'RE the one grocery shopping by yourself at 7am on a Saturday...

-"Why aren't you in school?" (said in the middle of a weekday)
I dropped out.  I got pregnant and quit. I got kicked out.  OBVIOUSLY, because I'm TOO OLD and GRADUATED.  With honors, I might add.  Just cuz I work in a grocery store doesn't make me stupid, insignificant, or a dropout.

-"Don't you just LOVE your job?" (said sarcastically of course)
Yes, I actually do. I love the people with whom I work.  I love getting paid for mindlessness.  I love when I see my friends here.  I love the craziness.  I don't like the morons who come through my line though!

-"I bet you can't wait to get out of here."
Yeah...cuz I have so much going on in my life...actually, THIS is where my friends are!

-"Why you don't you smile a little?"
Just cuz this is what my FACE looks like doesn't mean I hate you. I promise I don't bite.

Yup, it was a rant.  Get over it.  Sometimes I do that. :)  But on the bright side, because there is always a bright side, the majority of the customers I see are pleasant enough.  I'm just tired of the same lines over and over again, even from the nice people :)

Comments

  1. So I'm going to take a wild guess that another line you hear too often happens when something won't scan properly or the price won't come up and the customer says - oh it must be free! Yes I'm guilty of that one myself :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hahahahaha!!! One I get at Deseret Book all the time is, "I don't see a price. It must be free." Yes. We like to keep large, expensive statues in stock that customers can walk out with for free. Or there's, "Do you work here?" No, I just like getting boxes of books and restocking shelves in random bookstores for fun. Good times!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

10 Things I love about Hannaford

So originally I was going to do this in sarcasm...but then decided that I could actually come up with 10 things (in no specific order) I like about my job. Even though being a cashier at a grocery store is not ideal, it's a job, and...well, you'll see. 1. Going on break with my dad sometimes. Because, you know, we work in the same store. It's pretty cool. 2. I love the people I work with soooooo much! Mainly the ones during the day, because I don't know any of the high school kids that work evenings, because I rarely work evenings. 3. Being the "party animal". nuff said. 4. Watching a cashier ID someone for alcohol, and him telling us that he doesn't even have a photo ID since his license was taken away for DWI. Yeah, maybe he should rethink his purchase... 5. Now when I hear the name of a vegetable, I automatically think of its PLU. Dates: 3047. Cabbage: 4069. Bananas: 4011. Tree Ripe Peaches: 4044. Eastern Peaches: 4403. Nectarines: 4378.

Greased Lightning

It's snowing today! And what a great day it's been...minus the fact that I haven't finished nearly as much as I should have by now. But I DID go outside and play in the snow...and that's important! The snow was fresh in the tree....so I did what any little kid would do, and licked it. It was snow AND ice...good thing my tongue didn't freeze to the tree in my front yard! I love tree branches in the snow. There's just something about the combination of brown and pure white that strikes my artistic bone. Part of the tree and part of my house. Looking up Pennichuck Street. So picturesque. Me in my getup...I borrowed Michael's boots because I don't have any in NH (except for my cowboy boots....), and he gave me his snowshoeing boots, because they each weight like 5 pounds, and he just wanted to see me try to walk in them. My sunglasses made a comeback! Well, that's today. I've got a couple papers to write for English 316, and a bunch of Bio to r

10 Things I hate about Hannaford

Today was one of those days. I've had this list growing in my head for a while too, and today I just want to write it all down, cuz the first part of work, until I got back from my break, pretty much sucked. Stupid people. So in no specific order... 1. Frozen pizzas. I don't like eating them, and I hate them even worse at the register, because their barcodes are dumb and they don't fit in bags. 2. paper in plastic. Seriously, what's the point?! 3. customers who bag for themselves on express. THERE IS NO ROOM ANYWAY, and yet they're making less. This also includes the people who rearrange as you bag for them. yuck. if you want it a specific way, just tell us! 4. people who smell bad. nuff said. 5. old guys who wink at me. and hit on me. sick. 6. when dillon is not my bagger. hahahah. 7. when someone asks "where's corn flake crumbs?" like anyone could even know that. what are those even used for?! just get the crumbs from the bottom o