Skip to main content

Oh! Happy day!

Since I received my mission call on Friday evening, I have had a little while to process it. I'm going to BRAZIL!!!!! I'm going to learn PORTUGUESE! It still hardly seems real that after this much time preparing for a mission, I finally know where I will be going, when I will be going, and what language I'll be speaking. It's a dream come true! I wouldn't have guessed Brazil if I were to venture a guess, despite the fact that 10% of all missionaries go there! And I'll be in the Sao Paulo East Mission...so cool! Sao Paulo is one of the largest cities in the world, and was founded in the 1500s. There's so much history there! This is going to be one of the best experiences of my life. Even though I'll be thousands of miles away from home in a place where I don't currently speak the language, I'm not nervous. Just excited. Granted, that may change as I'm on the plane to a foreign land, but for now, I'm content to be just excited. There are a few people I need to have long chats with in the near future! Carolee's dad served in the same mission, many years ago. My good friend Kevin served in the same mission only a few short years ago, and he refers to it as the Celestial Mission. I believe that! My friend Danny is currently serving there, which I think is pretty awesome! So yeah...my feelings on this include excitement and joy! And gratitude to have this opportunity. Wow!

I learned my first word in Portuguese yesterday: "encanador" means plumber. That's good to know. Also, "carne" means meat. Alex pointed that out to me and told me to remember that anytime someone asks me what my first name is. Because he calls me "Karne". I also remembered that one time when I was eating dinner at Tucanos, I made the comment that if I go to Brazil on my mission, I could be very happy there...because of the food. Haha, if only I knew then what I know now!

So yup. Happy happy happy!!! I have 4 1/2 months to prepare as much as I can before I go into the MTC on March 3. Plus 4 1/2 months to try to figure out what to do with all my time, seeing as I'll be done my online class at the end of next month....and then my friends leave in January for school. Good thing for the singles ward! :)

Comments

  1. Haha, the first thing I learned how to say was "Vou te matar" which means "I'm going to kill you." I was told I probably wouldn't use it very often. Maybe with companions. In the end, I never did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. yay. missions are so exciting!! What MTC are you reporting to? provo? or isn't there one in brazil?
    awesome. awesome. awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

10 Things I love about Hannaford

So originally I was going to do this in sarcasm...but then decided that I could actually come up with 10 things (in no specific order) I like about my job. Even though being a cashier at a grocery store is not ideal, it's a job, and...well, you'll see. 1. Going on break with my dad sometimes. Because, you know, we work in the same store. It's pretty cool. 2. I love the people I work with soooooo much! Mainly the ones during the day, because I don't know any of the high school kids that work evenings, because I rarely work evenings. 3. Being the "party animal". nuff said. 4. Watching a cashier ID someone for alcohol, and him telling us that he doesn't even have a photo ID since his license was taken away for DWI. Yeah, maybe he should rethink his purchase... 5. Now when I hear the name of a vegetable, I automatically think of its PLU. Dates: 3047. Cabbage: 4069. Bananas: 4011. Tree Ripe Peaches: 4044. Eastern Peaches: 4403. Nectarines: 4378.

Greased Lightning

It's snowing today! And what a great day it's been...minus the fact that I haven't finished nearly as much as I should have by now. But I DID go outside and play in the snow...and that's important! The snow was fresh in the tree....so I did what any little kid would do, and licked it. It was snow AND ice...good thing my tongue didn't freeze to the tree in my front yard! I love tree branches in the snow. There's just something about the combination of brown and pure white that strikes my artistic bone. Part of the tree and part of my house. Looking up Pennichuck Street. So picturesque. Me in my getup...I borrowed Michael's boots because I don't have any in NH (except for my cowboy boots....), and he gave me his snowshoeing boots, because they each weight like 5 pounds, and he just wanted to see me try to walk in them. My sunglasses made a comeback! Well, that's today. I've got a couple papers to write for English 316, and a bunch of Bio to r

Happy birthday Tiff Tiff!

So there's no more classes. Only finals left. I'm keeping busy doing things, whether school-related or not, but it's still weird. Last night I was sitting here putting together some videos and such that Tiff and I have done all year, and it finally hit me that...I'm done class for two years here. It's a weird feeling, and I don't know how to describe it really...bittersweet isn't quite the word. Because I'm leaving so soon, I've been feeling a bit melancholy lately...it's so weird. And it's hard when people keep telling me to come back in the fall. I don't know...I've had a LOT on my mind lately, and I still feel like I'm doing the right thing. So I've been trying to keep busy and not think too much about it... I've tied up a lot of loose ends, both with people and with projects, in the past couple days. But on to happier stuff. Today we are celebrating Tiff's birthday! We're making a duckie cake, and d