Skip to main content

It's all in the perspective...

Today as I was driving to Litchfield, listening to country music and enjoying the trees that NH is so blessed to have, there was a biker biking on the side of the road. As I gave him some room and drove around him, I noticed in my rearview mirror how incredibly far the drivers were from the biker, and yet they still moved over to give him room. This got me thinking about perspective. From my standpoint as a driver, had I stayed in my lane 100%, it looked like I would have hit him with my mirror. As I watched the van in the rearview, the vehicle was several feet from the biker. When I'vebeen out biking and cars dodge me, I notice how far away from me they are.

And then I got thinking about perspective in life. The biker, the driver, and a bystander all have different perspectives in this situation. In life, we all have different perspectives. Something I often hear is that we all think we have the biggest problems. I've learned over the years that as we serve others and look for ways to help them through their trials, our problems pale in comparison. And that makes me think of how Gordon B. Hinckley's father said "forget yourself and go to work." Sometimes I think it's just important to remember perspective. Remember other people and how they may view the same situation differently. Remember how they can interpret words differently than you. I think as we are all a little bit more conscious of those around us and our different life situations, the world will be just a tiny bit better. Not that it's a bad place, but we can all do our part to make it a little better, even if it seems unimportant and miniscule. A volcano erupts after ages of magma buildup. That doesn't happen overnight. Each individual, microscopic atom is responsible for an eruption the size of Krakatoa. But each atom could not have caused it on its own.

Those are my thoughts. Perhaps incomprehensible, but it's what I was thinking about. And that's how my nice country drive went today. :)

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pictures!

We received the following pictures from Karen's Branch President down at the MTC.

Fortune Cookies can be profound..

So I was at work last night, at KBYU, and they fed us dinner. Sweet, free food! As a college kid with almost no money to my name, I'll gladly eat food that someone not only pays for, but pays me to eat! I've learned to like a lot of foods this way... I never used to enjoy Chinese food, but now I do. And last night, our food came from Panda Express. Seeing as I've never eaten authentic Chinese food from China, I don't know how "real" this food is, but it's pretty delicious. But that is not the point. The point is, half the fun of eating Chinese food is to read and laugh at the fortune inside the fortune cookie! Especially from Panda Express, where the fortunes are usually pretty lame, silly, or in fact MISfortunes! As I cracked my cookie open last night, my heart was pounding with anticipation... what would I get? Would it change my LIFE?!!? Okay, so I was just curious, and my heart wasn't pounding. :) I read the little slip of paper, and g...

Eu Amo Meloncia!

(NOTE:  Received on 3/30/2010) Hello family! Well, this week I did something different.  I kept a list in my agenda of things to write to y'all about, instead of just writing one on the bus on the way back from the Temple, and it is LONG!  But most of the things are just things to mention, not really to talk about.  So let me start with that! Choir last Tuesday was awesome...I played the piano of course, and the choir sang "Scripture Power".  Remember in primary when we would lift our scriptures up during the chorus?  Yeah, guess what 100 missionaries did during choir!  It was hilarious and so awesome.  We have so much fun here! Soccer here is intense.  Our teacher, Irmão Mendes, has the radio on his cell phone.  One day in class, he pulled it out, turned it on, and we listened for a few seconds to a soccer game.  Long enough to hear "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL...