Skip to main content

The constant bother

So I just checked my BYUB work schedule...and unfortunately, lately, they've scheduled me at times when I've already made plans with friends. Okay, some explanation is needed here (and I just need to rant about this...)

So last year, the shoots were posted online, and we just signed up for them when we could work them, and signed up for the positions we wanted. That was great, because then I could make plans and still get plenty of work hours in. I liked it that way; we all did. This year, however, they decided to change it. Now, they sign us up for a shoot (but usually it's not even my boss...it's one of the schedulers), and if we can't work it, we have to let them know. It's really messed with my social life this entire year, because I'll make plans, and then have to cancel them for work, because we never know more than about a week and a half in advance when we are scheduled! Sure, I don't always plan that far ahead, but for things like Ballroom shows and Christmas around the World and Divine Comedy, you HAVE you plan ahead for those! It's really frustrating, because then if you've already bought tickets to something, you have to either sell your ticket, or tell them that you can't work. As a result, I have backed out of several shoots, especially this semester. Which frustrates me even more, because last semester, I was rarely scheduled, and complained about it, and now I feel like I come across as not even appreciating that I'm being scheduled!!

But at this point, I think I'm choosing friends over work, because as much as I really do love my job, and would really like to work the shoots I've been scheduled on, I'm not going to see many of my friends for two years, starting in about 3 1/2 weeks. So ultimately, I'm going to choose my friends over work. But I need the money! And I just called my boss the other day to back out of a shoot for tomorrow, and I just emailed the scheduler a few minutes ago to back out of ANOTHER shoot next Friday! GAH I am so stinking frustrated about this! Seriously, what can I do? Ditch my friends to work? I think not. But ditching work makes me look irresponsible, and I do worry about my resume and future possible references. TOO MANY DECISIONS! Or something.

Okay, I just needed to get that out on paper. I guess. Even though this isn't paper. I'm still bothered by it, and i've hated the scheduling system since September, and it's been a problem for me since then, but hey, in the famous words of Lady MacBeth, "What's done is done."

Comments

  1. Oh dear. Has everyone let them know how much they hate this new system?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

10 Things I love about Hannaford

So originally I was going to do this in sarcasm...but then decided that I could actually come up with 10 things (in no specific order) I like about my job. Even though being a cashier at a grocery store is not ideal, it's a job, and...well, you'll see. 1. Going on break with my dad sometimes. Because, you know, we work in the same store. It's pretty cool. 2. I love the people I work with soooooo much! Mainly the ones during the day, because I don't know any of the high school kids that work evenings, because I rarely work evenings. 3. Being the "party animal". nuff said. 4. Watching a cashier ID someone for alcohol, and him telling us that he doesn't even have a photo ID since his license was taken away for DWI. Yeah, maybe he should rethink his purchase... 5. Now when I hear the name of a vegetable, I automatically think of its PLU. Dates: 3047. Cabbage: 4069. Bananas: 4011. Tree Ripe Peaches: 4044. Eastern Peaches: 4403. Nectarines: 4378.

Greased Lightning

It's snowing today! And what a great day it's been...minus the fact that I haven't finished nearly as much as I should have by now. But I DID go outside and play in the snow...and that's important! The snow was fresh in the tree....so I did what any little kid would do, and licked it. It was snow AND ice...good thing my tongue didn't freeze to the tree in my front yard! I love tree branches in the snow. There's just something about the combination of brown and pure white that strikes my artistic bone. Part of the tree and part of my house. Looking up Pennichuck Street. So picturesque. Me in my getup...I borrowed Michael's boots because I don't have any in NH (except for my cowboy boots....), and he gave me his snowshoeing boots, because they each weight like 5 pounds, and he just wanted to see me try to walk in them. My sunglasses made a comeback! Well, that's today. I've got a couple papers to write for English 316, and a bunch of Bio to r

Happy birthday Tiff Tiff!

So there's no more classes. Only finals left. I'm keeping busy doing things, whether school-related or not, but it's still weird. Last night I was sitting here putting together some videos and such that Tiff and I have done all year, and it finally hit me that...I'm done class for two years here. It's a weird feeling, and I don't know how to describe it really...bittersweet isn't quite the word. Because I'm leaving so soon, I've been feeling a bit melancholy lately...it's so weird. And it's hard when people keep telling me to come back in the fall. I don't know...I've had a LOT on my mind lately, and I still feel like I'm doing the right thing. So I've been trying to keep busy and not think too much about it... I've tied up a lot of loose ends, both with people and with projects, in the past couple days. But on to happier stuff. Today we are celebrating Tiff's birthday! We're making a duckie cake, and d