Skip to main content

The constant bother

So I just checked my BYUB work schedule...and unfortunately, lately, they've scheduled me at times when I've already made plans with friends. Okay, some explanation is needed here (and I just need to rant about this...)

So last year, the shoots were posted online, and we just signed up for them when we could work them, and signed up for the positions we wanted. That was great, because then I could make plans and still get plenty of work hours in. I liked it that way; we all did. This year, however, they decided to change it. Now, they sign us up for a shoot (but usually it's not even my boss...it's one of the schedulers), and if we can't work it, we have to let them know. It's really messed with my social life this entire year, because I'll make plans, and then have to cancel them for work, because we never know more than about a week and a half in advance when we are scheduled! Sure, I don't always plan that far ahead, but for things like Ballroom shows and Christmas around the World and Divine Comedy, you HAVE you plan ahead for those! It's really frustrating, because then if you've already bought tickets to something, you have to either sell your ticket, or tell them that you can't work. As a result, I have backed out of several shoots, especially this semester. Which frustrates me even more, because last semester, I was rarely scheduled, and complained about it, and now I feel like I come across as not even appreciating that I'm being scheduled!!

But at this point, I think I'm choosing friends over work, because as much as I really do love my job, and would really like to work the shoots I've been scheduled on, I'm not going to see many of my friends for two years, starting in about 3 1/2 weeks. So ultimately, I'm going to choose my friends over work. But I need the money! And I just called my boss the other day to back out of a shoot for tomorrow, and I just emailed the scheduler a few minutes ago to back out of ANOTHER shoot next Friday! GAH I am so stinking frustrated about this! Seriously, what can I do? Ditch my friends to work? I think not. But ditching work makes me look irresponsible, and I do worry about my resume and future possible references. TOO MANY DECISIONS! Or something.

Okay, I just needed to get that out on paper. I guess. Even though this isn't paper. I'm still bothered by it, and i've hated the scheduling system since September, and it's been a problem for me since then, but hey, in the famous words of Lady MacBeth, "What's done is done."

Comments

  1. Oh dear. Has everyone let them know how much they hate this new system?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Pictures!

We received the following pictures from Karen's Branch President down at the MTC.

Fortune Cookies can be profound..

So I was at work last night, at KBYU, and they fed us dinner. Sweet, free food! As a college kid with almost no money to my name, I'll gladly eat food that someone not only pays for, but pays me to eat! I've learned to like a lot of foods this way... I never used to enjoy Chinese food, but now I do. And last night, our food came from Panda Express. Seeing as I've never eaten authentic Chinese food from China, I don't know how "real" this food is, but it's pretty delicious. But that is not the point. The point is, half the fun of eating Chinese food is to read and laugh at the fortune inside the fortune cookie! Especially from Panda Express, where the fortunes are usually pretty lame, silly, or in fact MISfortunes! As I cracked my cookie open last night, my heart was pounding with anticipation... what would I get? Would it change my LIFE?!!? Okay, so I was just curious, and my heart wasn't pounding. :) I read the little slip of paper, and g...

Eu Amo Meloncia!

(NOTE:  Received on 3/30/2010) Hello family! Well, this week I did something different.  I kept a list in my agenda of things to write to y'all about, instead of just writing one on the bus on the way back from the Temple, and it is LONG!  But most of the things are just things to mention, not really to talk about.  So let me start with that! Choir last Tuesday was awesome...I played the piano of course, and the choir sang "Scripture Power".  Remember in primary when we would lift our scriptures up during the chorus?  Yeah, guess what 100 missionaries did during choir!  It was hilarious and so awesome.  We have so much fun here! Soccer here is intense.  Our teacher, Irmão Mendes, has the radio on his cell phone.  One day in class, he pulled it out, turned it on, and we listened for a few seconds to a soccer game.  Long enough to hear "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLLL...