Skip to main content

Shania Twain is so Old School!

Helllooooooooooooo family!

As for news. First of all, last week was transfers. We spent all of Monday with the Elders in our area, because we knew there would be some changes, but didn't know exactly what. We all thought Lee Dee would be transferred out for sure, cuz he already had two transfers here. Anyway, finally the call came that evening....sure enough, there were big changes. Sister Frame and I both stayed here in Vila Industrial (WOOOHOOO!!!!!), and the other Vila Industrial area was closed, and the Elders were both transferred out. Elder Lee Dee is in the interior now, and Elder Paul is on the beach (boa sorte). So that was Monday night...then we realized that we hbasically had to combine two areas, so now we have all our investigators, and those of the Elders, which means we spend a TON of time walking, because everyone lives forever away from each other, and we aren't rich, so we can't take the bus everywhere. So...we use our lamborfeeties. However, it is wonderful. We are looking at a few potential baptisms in the next couple weeks, so keep praying for that. We have some wonderful people we are teaching now.

Second of all, I made a goal for this transfer, which I talked about with both my comp and with President last week (we had interviews). I want to be fluent in Portuguese by the time this transfer ends, 5 weeks from now. So, I'm really working on talking more, and just talking, even if I'm wrong. It's pretty good. Some people are amazed that I talk now, which is pretty funny to see. Know what else is funny? When people ask my comp about me, and if I can understand the language, and then I answer them. Haha, I actually love doing this, because sometimes it really catches them by surprise. :) I love the people here! Really though, I do. :)
So we had interviews with President last week, and it was great. It was all in Portuguese, which is good. I learned a lot about studying (truly studying) the Book of Mormon, and the scriptures in general. And I am so blessed to have Pres. Moreira as my mission president! He's fantastic. And that same day was our ZL's birthday, so S. Frame and I went with S. Moreira to get a cake for him. She's fantastic too, and really the mom of the mission.

We've survived two Brazil games of the world cup so far, and have at least two more, because Brazil won these first two. And the best part about these games it that sitting in our apartment, we know exactly what is going on, when goals are scored, and when the game ends...because we hear the screaming, yelling, horns honking, noisemakers, music, and general insanity from the street. I was in Italy during World Cup 2002, and I remember one night when Italy won a game (I was in Rome), and that was pure insanity. There were parades, people dancing and yelling, music, etc. Parties all night long. Welp, times that by a billion more or less, and you have Brazil. :) I love being here for this! It's a unique experience that I may never have again!

So funny story. I rode in a volkswagon hippie van on Saturday! The secretaries of the mish brought us a new stove ("new"), because ours was almost dead. Well, when we opened the box, we realized that our new stove was probably worse than the one we had....fantastic. But the Elders had a ton of fun being in a Sisters' apartment, and marvelled at the fact that we live in a two-room apartment, because almost every other one is bigger! It was pretty funny. Then they took us back to our lunch appointment in the hippie van. I loved it. I want one of those things some day! :)

As for the random stuff. We found legos in our apartment! Awesome. We got free pizza with Lee Dee and Elder Paul on Monday night, because they were leaving. That was pretty fun, and we were like 900 miles from our apartment...okay, not really, but it sure felt like it when we wanted to be at home and had to walk the whole way cuz apparently the buses run with less frequency the later it gets. :) I get to go to the Temple tomorrow! Today isn't pday...which is why I'm writing so late...because we are going to the Temple tomorrow. I am so excited...I have really missed going frequently. I am blessed to be in a mission where it's even a possibility to go sometimes. It'll be my first session in Portuguese.

So think of Oktoberfest real quick. Why does it exist? Basically because there's nothing going on in October, so why not party? Alright, we have a party here called Festa Juninha (I don't know if I spelled that right). And it's almost the same as oktoberfest, in that it's just invented to party, because there's nothing else in June. And the men;/boys all wear almost cowboy style clothes and hats, and the women and girls wear dresses....very VERY similar to those worn in germany during oktoberfest. We had a festa juninha in our ward on Saturday night (which some of our investigators went to...yay!), and I took some pictures. It was a lot of fun, and they have food specifically for this festa. And then we didn't get to stay long because it was late...and we literally had to run home, and still got there a little late.

And that's all folks! Apparently people really read my blog...that's pretty cool. So to all you bloggers who speak Portuguese (Eu sei que tem pelo menos uma pessoa)...Boa noite! Iria escrever mais, mas infelizmente, já escrevi quase tudo nesse email. E também, meu português não é perfeito. :)

I love you all! Remember the three things that keep us strong in the gospel...indo na igreja todo semana, lendo as escrituras todos os dias, e orando com frequencia. :)

Com muito amor,
Karen

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

10 Things I love about Hannaford

So originally I was going to do this in sarcasm...but then decided that I could actually come up with 10 things (in no specific order) I like about my job. Even though being a cashier at a grocery store is not ideal, it's a job, and...well, you'll see. 1. Going on break with my dad sometimes. Because, you know, we work in the same store. It's pretty cool. 2. I love the people I work with soooooo much! Mainly the ones during the day, because I don't know any of the high school kids that work evenings, because I rarely work evenings. 3. Being the "party animal". nuff said. 4. Watching a cashier ID someone for alcohol, and him telling us that he doesn't even have a photo ID since his license was taken away for DWI. Yeah, maybe he should rethink his purchase... 5. Now when I hear the name of a vegetable, I automatically think of its PLU. Dates: 3047. Cabbage: 4069. Bananas: 4011. Tree Ripe Peaches: 4044. Eastern Peaches: 4403. Nectarines: 4378.

Greased Lightning

It's snowing today! And what a great day it's been...minus the fact that I haven't finished nearly as much as I should have by now. But I DID go outside and play in the snow...and that's important! The snow was fresh in the tree....so I did what any little kid would do, and licked it. It was snow AND ice...good thing my tongue didn't freeze to the tree in my front yard! I love tree branches in the snow. There's just something about the combination of brown and pure white that strikes my artistic bone. Part of the tree and part of my house. Looking up Pennichuck Street. So picturesque. Me in my getup...I borrowed Michael's boots because I don't have any in NH (except for my cowboy boots....), and he gave me his snowshoeing boots, because they each weight like 5 pounds, and he just wanted to see me try to walk in them. My sunglasses made a comeback! Well, that's today. I've got a couple papers to write for English 316, and a bunch of Bio to r

10 Things I hate about Hannaford

Today was one of those days. I've had this list growing in my head for a while too, and today I just want to write it all down, cuz the first part of work, until I got back from my break, pretty much sucked. Stupid people. So in no specific order... 1. Frozen pizzas. I don't like eating them, and I hate them even worse at the register, because their barcodes are dumb and they don't fit in bags. 2. paper in plastic. Seriously, what's the point?! 3. customers who bag for themselves on express. THERE IS NO ROOM ANYWAY, and yet they're making less. This also includes the people who rearrange as you bag for them. yuck. if you want it a specific way, just tell us! 4. people who smell bad. nuff said. 5. old guys who wink at me. and hit on me. sick. 6. when dillon is not my bagger. hahahah. 7. when someone asks "where's corn flake crumbs?" like anyone could even know that. what are those even used for?! just get the crumbs from the bottom o